- Americans purchase more oatmeal in January than in any other month.
- The most popular oatmeal topping is milk, followed by sugar and fruit.
- Eighty percent of U.S. households have oatmeal in their pantries.
- The most popular uses for oatmeal are, in order, as cereal, as cookies, in meatloaf, and in cakes or pies.
- An 18-ounce package of oatmeal contains about 26,000 rolled oats.
- The top five oatmeal consumption markets are New York, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Boston, and Chicago.
- Oats were one of the earliest cereals cultivated by humans and were recorded in ancient China as long ago as 7,000 B.C.